HANDWRITING CONTEST sponsored by the Memphis Calligraphy Guild
CHAIRMAN: Linda Boswell
Entries must be delivered to the Delta Fair: Saturday, August 28 between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm, to the outside entrance of Wing A at the Agricenter International – 7777 Walnut Grove Road, Memphis, TN 38120
Please use the following rules for this contest.
- Only one (1) entry per person will be accepted. Age categories: 7 and Under; determined by your age on January 1, 2021.
- Write the designated quote on lined or unlined 8 1/2” x 11” paper with a ballpoint or fountain pen. NO felt tip markers or calligraphy pens. Only BLACK INK will be accepted. Use the same pen throughout the quote. Ages 7 and under may use a pencil. The written quote must fit on the FRONT side of 1 sheet of paper. NO FAXES OR ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- The 7 and Under category may PRINT. Ages 8-12 have the option to write using either MANUSCRIPT PRINTING (joins fewer than half its letters) or CURSIVE (joins half or more of its letters). Ages 13-19 and Ages 20 and over MUST USE CURSIVE.
- On the BACK of the entry, write your name, age category, address, area code and phone number, and an email address. All personal information will be kept confidential and used only to notify winners. If this information is missing or illegible, the entry will be disqualified.
- Entries will be judged on:
- LEGIBILITY: how easy it is to read.
- FLUENCY: smoothness, grace and flow of writing.
- COMPETENCY: LAYOUT -margins on 4 sides of writing, spacing between letters, words and lines.
- CONSISTENCY OF LETTER FORMS -size, slant, accuracy of the quote neatness, spelling, and whether or not the rules are followed.
- QUOTE for Ages 7 and Under:
- The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
- QUOTE for Ages 8-12:
- “Poets don’t draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently.” Jean Cocteau
- QUOTE for ages 13-19:
- “I always write my first draft in longhand, in lined notebooks. I move around the house, sitting where I like, and watch the words spool out in front of me, actually taking a lot of pleasure in the way they look in my strange handwriting on the page.” Sue Miller
- QUOTE for Ages 20 and Over:
- Handwriting: that action of emotion, of thought, and of decision that has recorded the history of mankind, revealed the genius of invention, and disclosed the inmost depths of the soulful heart. It gives ideas tangible form through written letters, pictographs, symbols, and signs. Handwriting forms a bond across millennia and generations that not only ties us to the thoughts and deeds of our forebears, but also serves as an irrevocable link to our humanity. Neither machines nor technology can replace the contribution or continuing importance of this inexpensive portable skill. Necessary in every age, handwriting remains just as vital to the enduring saga of civilization as our next breath. Michael R. Sull
Winning entries of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place will be displayed along with their ribbons.
Premiums: 1st – $7.50 2nd – $5.00 3rd – $3.00